Saturday, December 9, 2023

Can I Predict Natural Disasters?

I’m seeing strange numbers everywhere. Last week when this happened, they had that big snowstorm in the northern states the next day. It reminded me of when I used to work lots of disasters each year. My psyche somehow got connected to disasters so I could often predict them.



I was out in Florida when Hurricane Frances made landfall in 2004, in Jensen Beach. 3 weeks to the day and in exactly the same place, hurricane Jeanne made landfall. I had been in South Florida for several months. But of course, all emergency workers were evacuated.

I can still recall driving by homes and buildings that had been hit by Frances. Half the building would be gone. Then after Jeanne made landfall, the entire building was missing. There was this really old structure down near the beach. They had been renovating it. It was a lovely old building. Then it was just a big slab of concrete. Just like that!



You never get over the shock and awe of seeing boats on top of houses and dumpsters floating down the highway.  I grew to love Jensen Beach and always told myself I was going to move there. Imagine living in a town that was hit with 2 Cat 3 hurricanes within exactly 3 weeks of each other. That would have been cool!

I made lots of friends in that little beach town. It was great. I was there for about 4 months. Then finally hurricane season ended. We finished up the work and returned to our homes.

Check out my website for more great storm stories. 

www.carolynsorrell.com




No comments:

Post a Comment