Friday, September 15, 2023

The Midnight Food

 

Last night I didn’t get to sleep until 7am that morning. So I slept for 4 hours then got up and made breakfast. I stayed up and worked an hour then went back to bed and slept for 3 more hours. I got up and made lunch and worked another hour then I crawled back in bed and slept 3 more hours.



Every time I’d fall asleep, I would continue the same dream. In Dream #1 I meet up with a bunch of friends and family members at this large restaurant. They serve lobster and lobster rolls with French fries and onion rings. It was delicious! Really, I have to order that soon.

We have the best time and stay at that restaurant for over 2 hours. One of the groups of people who met there for this family reunion was driving the biggest green and white RV you’ve ever seen! I mean, it was massive. When the guy parks the thing, he accidentally bumps into a guy’s motorcycle, which is parked outside the restaurant on the street. You can see the cars because the café has tall, wide windows all around. You can see the outside very clearly.

In the center of this spacious café, there are men’s and ladies’ bathrooms.  The counter runs all the way across the front of the building and there are usually about 4 servers working these counters. They stay really busy because the food is good.

After a couple of hours, the meeting breaks up. People say goodbye and hug. We talk about how we will get together again soon. So finally, each of us goes our own way.

That’s how the dream ends. But then each time I go back to sleep (I slept 3 different times), that same dream takes up again.

We’re all in this large restaurant with a counter that runs across the front and bathrooms right in the center of the building. And we are ordering food and drinks. We are laughing and talking. We are having so much fun. And throughout the dream, we remain there in that place. Then the dream ends.



But the next time I go back to sleep, the dream starts right back up again. There are lots of us there. We’re standing at the counter, placing our food orders. We're talking. We’re laughing. We hug a lot. And it’s wonderful.

Then I woke up and had to begin my day. It was around 6pm. I watched Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune then Big Brother came on. I ate dinner. Now it’s time to go back to sleep. My day is over. It’s 2:43am. I’ll brush my teeth in a minute. I check all the door locks. I close the door to the laundry room then I peek out the patio door to see if it rained. It didn’t.

I have to make the bed. I have clean sheets. Then I’ll turn out my bedside light and close my eyes. I wonder if that dream will return. Where will we go and what will we do next? Maybe we’ll meet at a Mexican restaurant and eat enchiladas and chili. My favorite!

But maybe I’ll dream something else. Those times when I sleep each day are my favorite times because I always enjoy an adventure somewhere. Well, it’s time for what I call, “The Midnight Food.”




When my schedule was more normal, I would eat a snack at around midnight each evening then be in bed by 3am. That was a good schedule for me. So I call that “the Midnight Food.” Right now it’s 3am and I have no idea what I’m gonna eat for the Midnight Food. I don’t have anything.

I have canned soup, canned pineapple and Keebler cookies. I have some yellow squash and an avocado that may have gone bad already. I’m just stumped about what to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment